Monday, June 7, 2010

Poverty In India

I'm back frm Delhi.As usual,it was a total NIGHTMARE!I've been very lucky to be assigned in business class when we departed frm Kul on Saturday as well as today's return flight.The Almighty listened to my prayers,Alhamdulillah..*I know it sounded like I was going to battle field,but seriously folks,going for an Indian sector flt is even worse..life as a stewardess is not so glamorous after all=P*I didn't have to deal with those ridiculously demanding passengers in economy class who treated the attendant call buttons as if those were buzzers for them to press and answer million dollar worth questions!
Well,back to the main point here.I bet most of the people out there got themselves a peek frm the award winning movie,Slumdog Millionaire.And those who never got the chance to plant their footsteps in India,they could always imagined how dreadful it would be to live in India.Life in India is just as terrible as it was filmed in the scenes of Slumdog Millionaire,or even worse.The wealthy Indians never bothered to look after the unlucky ones,and the unlucky ones were left homeless,begging for mercy and small rupees frm passers-by.Sometimes,as I walked down the filthy streets of India,and we're talking bout the streets in Delhi or Madras here (Mumbai a.k.a. Bollywood is out the question),some poor undressed little children would start grabbing and pulling my hands asking for food or money.I just couldn't stand looking straight into their eyes that were full of sorrow and hunger,yet I never gave them a single penny as it would only invite a troop of them harassing me for the same thing.
On our way to the airport late in the evening yesterday,while our bus was stopping at a traffic light,a naked little girl stood just right by my window.She showed me her stomach as a signal that she was very hungry and looked at me in tears.I wished I could help but there was nothing could be done.Even the Indians that walked pass her didn't sympathize her or other homeless children around the area.What kind of heartless people were they??
Every time I go for Indian sector flights,I feel like STRANGLING every single one of them that consistently ask me for ridiculous things or unreasonable amount of attention that I'm not capable of giving to more than 200 passengers!But when I'm fully calm and back to my senses,I will just tell myself how lucky I am to be in my shoes,and not theirs.Born in a peaceful country,raised beautifully by a wealthy family and blessed with a great job,unlike them.They make the crews' life miserable on flight,but in real life,they are the ones who are deeply tortured and miserable.Especially when they get back home to India.
Enough bout the Indians.I'm gonna enjoy every bit of my off day tomorrow before I head to the East day after.Tomorrow's my movie date with Sweetie Pie who is currently in Singapore for work.Can't wait to see you!=)