Friday, August 12, 2011

Hijab/Scarf

It is a commitment to The Almighty and religion that Muslim women make when wearing hijabs/scarves around their heads.But it never occurred to me that they are also committing themselves to the rapidly evolving trends of hijabs/scarves.Are hijabs/scarves equal to your designer bags and shoes?

Perhaps they are.

While others were committing themselves to the hijabs/scarves trend,I was committing myself to being Ibu's personal fashion advisor.And the mission for these 2 off days I have was scarf hunting for Ibu.

I realized that shopping for scarves was even harder than getting yourselves a new purse/handbag.Shopping for scarves was just as tough as getting new pairs of shoe,coz you hafta consider the colors of the outfits you have hanging in your wardrobe,the correct fitting and the availability of the sizes and colors that you want at your preferred outlets.To those who always played safe would just go for neutral basic colors of scarves to match with their outfits,but not Ibu.She's the typical matchy-matchy type of trendy middle-aged woman,which also means that every of her scarf belongs to 1 or 2 particular outfits.It might be caused by the excitement of her being a newbie in wearing scarves,I thought.

So for the past 2days,we've been hoping from 1 boutique to another to search for those colorful matching scarves for her incomplete outfits.From Ariani,to Pearl Haya,Fareeda,Ratu and Hajra,we've covered them all.And from my observation,the scarves they're selling nowadays weren't cheap at all.For exclusivity,which Ibu preferred most of the time,it could cost you from RM400-900 per scarf!


When they said exclusive,they really meant exclusive.It couldn't be found anywhere else but that particular boutique.Eventhough I still stick to committing myself to designer bags and shoes instead of designer scarves,I quite enjoyed chaperoning Ibu to all these scarf boutiques.They were filled with colorful materials and scarf designs that you'd just simply scratch your head,not knowing how it was meant to be wrapped around your pretty little heads.Way too enjoyable til I found myself camwhoring at every single full length mirror available.Can't blame me,getting the right scarf was just as complicated as getting the perfect pair of shoe,and time consuming =P


Previously,there was only tudung bawal's trend to catch up with.Now,the scarf-wearing women need to cope with 1001 ways of wearing their scarves and the amount of layers of scarves they need to wrap around their heads.The brand labels stitched at the seam of their scarves speak for themselves too.Man,if I were to decide to cover my head in the nearest future,I'd hafta start saving now so that every of my outfit has its own matching minion with a known label stitched inside.Just like Ibu's.That could be very costly =P

So,to those lovely scarf-wearing women out there,I finally get you.It is not easy to be a head-covered Muslimah,yet trendy at the same time.While I'm getting the right piece of headband for my head,you're the doing the same,but a different piece of accessory.While I'm blow-drying my hair for sleek locks,you're out there ironing your 1 or 2 (or even 3) ruffled/swarovski-ed/embroidered layers of hijab/scarf to look chic.I guess we're not so different after all =)


P/S to Ling: Hey dear..My hair might look healthy and shiny in pictures,but in reality it is just plain dry.I spend more time obsessing bout Vuitton's new arrival than pampering my hair.And honestly,a visit to the salon is just as scary as visit to the dentist,to me.I wash my hair daily with Himalaya's shampoo and apply L'oreal's Smooth Intense serum after every wash.I wish I have a fancier hair caring routine to share with,but that is it.Thank for the shout out at my box,darl!

Good night and Selamat Berpuasa folks!