Friday, August 19, 2011

The Heart of A Granny

I'm a city girl.Not being cynically proud of that fact but I've always been one.I can't tolerate mosquitoes,I can hardly stand humidity and heat,I'm clueless on folding kain batik around my hips and my most extravagant weakness point that I'm never proud of....I can't cook.

Of course it is no shocking news.I bet most can presume that detail to come by.

I have a theory that city girls are actually country girls at heart,just with cuter outfits.Each have their own pros and cons.I'm not gona list them down here,I'll leave it to your own judgement,as mine might differ from the rest.

Anyway,I'm writing tonight to tell you bout an incident which just happened last weekend.It was unpredictable yet a lesson to be learned.

My parents and I were visiting granny in Muar last weekend,like we always did on every free weekend,ever since gramps left us bout 4years ago.Granny has been staying own her own in a big mansion that gramps left her,with a full time maid.Although she has been staying strong when dealing with her beloved husband's lost for all of us,yet we always knew that she has been suffering with loneliness deep inside.So that was why my parents have decided to drive back to Muar as often as we could.

Unlike the usual visit routine where we would call granny a day in advance just to inform her bout our visit,last weekend we didn't.It was Ayah's crazy idea to not let granny know bout our visit,making it a surprise visit.So granny had no idea whatsoever that we've actually made our back to Muar at noon,to spend a buka puasa evening with her.The reason behind Ayah's decision was to not let granny went to the hassle of preparing all of our favourite dishes for berbuka,coz that was what she normally did when expecting our visit.Ayah wanted a simple buka puasa feast that wouldn't involve any hardwork from the old lady.

Shame on us into thinking that granny would be alright with the idea when we finally showed up at her doorstep.It was us who received the surprise of our lives when granny went ballistic over the idea of not telling her bout our visit in advance!She hated being surprised,and what she hated more was that she didn't get to prepare great dishes for all of us for berbuka.We were shocked with her reaction and went mute,while granny was definitely at her maximum volume blabbering in an unhappy state of consciousness in the kitchen.She started working her ass in the kitchen with the maid's help,and refused to receive any helping hands besides the maid's.

I hated seeing granny being so remorsefully unhappy over something we thought wasn't that big a deal.So I started blaming Ayah for his actions.Haha!He felt bad already,yet I guiltlessly made it worse.Poor Ayah.All of us could feel the heat in the kitchen that was firing up,along with the hot stove.

A few moments later,Ibu managed to calm granny down by utilizing her natural reverse psychology skills.I didn't know how she did it,but she successfully did.Even I,granny's favourite granddaughter,was chased out from the kitchen,so bravo to Ibu =)

Granny eventually left the kitchen for the maid to take over and sat down with us to catch up.Boy,was I relieved to see things back to normal.Now that Ibu has officially joined the 'women in hijabs' club,there seemed to be a lot of things to be shared between the country mother and city child,such as the latest hijab trend.

Granny trying on Ibu's stylish new hijab.Wasn't that just sweet?=)

What I can conclude from this incident is that modern city people has different views and perspective on treatments towards visitors visiting their home frm those living at the country side.Perhaps not all,but I can guarantee that most will just take advantage of the situation that granny just experienced with us.City people will use the surprise element as an excuse to get away with for not preparing stuffs to be served to guests with no RSVPs.No heads up in advance,no proper refreshments on the table.While on the other hand,people living at the country side psychotically decide to freak out and work their asses off to prepare that perfect refreshment to welcome their unexpected guests.No heads up in advance,bad guests.But at the end of the day,it really depends on an individual's conscience.

Granny still managed to serve us irrespectively,with great dishes for berbuka that day.I never had any complains on granny's cooking coz most the time they'd be delicious.She's utterly an amazing cook.You can my tummy for confirmation =)


And I abso-freakin-lutely adores her for that......

Love ya muchos,Grandma! =)