Thursday, September 8, 2011

Living In A Different Era

There were so many countless times when I have this preposterous,yet fascinating theory crossing my mind that I should be born 30-40 years earlier than the actual birth date of mine.

Well,of course you folks wanna know why I have such a bizarre theory.

It's easy.I find the 1950s and 60s are the Golden Age,the invincible era,where crime rates were lower,love was still the only solid reason to be getting married,Dior and Chanel's domination of the fashion world,the idea of feminism were A-line full skirted dresses and simple suits combining collarless jackets and knee length skirts,Elvis and The Beatles ruling the music charts,and of course,Audrey Hepburn was the symbol of elegance and a fashion icon to look up to.

I bet every single soul related or close to me can vouch for the fact that my idea of a perfect piece of outfit are the ones with bows,full skirted (at any length),ruffled and puffed at particular parts,and floral better than abstracts.As for music,I love anything upbeat and catchy yet singable at the same time.What I can concur is that my fashion and music influences are mostly from the 50s and 60s.

While traveling as a passenger on board flight to Perth last Monday,I chose to watch a move titled 'Midnight in Paris' on the personal inflight entertainment system.The movie totally got me in the head and proved that I might not be the only person in the world who thought that some people were meant to be born in a different era they were living in and that my theory didn't sound crazy at all!

'Midnight in Paris' was about a struggling writer,Gil,who admired and idolized the era of 1920s in Paris,but it was unfortunate that his fiancee didn't feel the same way.One midnight,while walking at the streets of Paris alone,he was transported to 1920s where he met his favourite writers including Fitzgerald,Hemingway and Stein.There were also famous artists such Picasso and Salvador Dali in the picture.He fell in love with a girl named Adriana who also happened to be Picasso and Hemingway's object of affection.While Adriana thought of Belle Epoque as Paris' Golden Age,three gentlemen from that era thought of Renaissance as the greatest era.It occurred to Gil that despite the allure of nostalgia,it was better to accept the present for what it was.



Such an enchanting movie,eh?So the question is right now,does everyone in this world feel like they perfectly belong?

While you folks ask yourselves that question,here are pictures from my most recent trip to Perth.A great welcoming weather for exploring the city.Well,I've explored Perth enough so it was time to hit the stores!

Day 1....
Day 2...
....and Forever New!!